Mango-ade w/ Chamoy Sauce
So the weather has been a little chilly but I’ve been craving something sweet and frozen. I make a smoothie every day for breakfast and sometimes as a late night dessert but they just weren’t giving my body what it was craving. Then it hit me, Mango-ade w/ Chamoy.
Growing up in San Diego, Ca my husband was a lover of chamoy. If we went out and someone was selling chamoy nearby, he had to stop and purchase some. I on the other hand watched him gulp down chip after chip drenched in chamoy in utter confusion.
Is it spicy?
No, not really.
Is it sweet?
No, not really.
Then what the heck does it taste like?
Just try it. My husband (then boyfriend) always responded.
But, I never tried it… until I went to happy hour last year with some friends. I purchased a Mango Margarita and what was that all around that rim rim rim rim (Nicki Minaj voice)? Chamoy! So this is the magical condiment that takes a drink from, “Oh that’s delicious” to “D*** that’s GOOD!” Sweet, spicy, savory, sticky goodness. I'm talking finger licking, lip smacking bliss.
Now here we are a year later and I have finally perfected a Mango-ade with Chamoy recipe that is guilt free. Made purely with plant-based ingredients so graciously provided by nature.
- 1/2 cup apricot spreadable fruit (not jelly, jam or preserves)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (not concentrate)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons California chili powder (make sure it is 100% chili powder, not chili blend)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 dried apricots, rehydrated in warm water for about 30 minutes
- Add 4-5 large dried apricots to a cup of warm water and allow to soak for 30 minutes to rehydrate. When the apricots are rehydrated, discard the water.
- Add 1/2 cup spreadable fruit, juice of one lime, ground ancho chile pepper and apple cider vinegar to a food processor and run on high until completely smooth.
- 2-3 tablespoons chamoy
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 3/4 cup of orange juice
- Add 2 cups frozen mango chunks to a blender and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Spoon chamoy around the inside of the glass, then pour the mango and orange juice mixture into the cup.
- Top with more chamoy and swirl with a spoon.
- Sprinkle chile lime salt on top and serve.